sci.astro.amateur

Re: SW3

Subject: Re: SW3
From: Greg Crinklaw
Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 13:10:14 -0600
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
darryls@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I went out last night at 2am, after 3 hours sleep.  I had no problem
seeing the stars in Hercules, but I could not find SW3.  I am using
7x35 binoculars.  There was no cloud cover, but I am not sure about air
pollution or haze.  There is a large city to my east (that is why I had
to wait 'til 2:00, so it was overhead away from the lights).

1. Did anybody see the comet last night?

I did in my 8x56 binoculars through cloud cover. It looks like a hazy dash of light. I also spotted the more difficult component B, which was superimposed on some stars creating the effect of a faint cluster embedded in nebulosity.

2. What can I do differently to see it myself?

Forgive me for suggesting the obvious but you may need to get away from those lights. This comet is visible from suburbia in the telescope, but difficult in binoculars. You may need a darker sky in that case.

Clear skies,
Greg

--
Greg Crinklaw