sci.astro.amateur

For newbies going to viewing sites

Subject: For newbies going to viewing sites
From: "Matt J. McCullar"
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 02:10:49 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
As interested as I am in astronomy, I haven't gone to that many public
viewing sites.  Each time I do so, however, I learn something very useful
and I'd like to collect more tips from others who have far more experience
with this sort of thing.

* Bring a red flashlight and some star charts.  Practice before you go.
Fresh batteries?

* Bring insect repellent, but don't spray it on anywhere near any of the
telescopes!

* Bring something comfortable to sit on or lie on.

* Dim your car's headlights if possible before getting too near the viewers.

What can you add?