sci.astro.amateur

Re: 15" Obsession

Subject: Re: 15" Obsession
From: "Martin R. Howell"
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 21:29:20 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 22:14:57 -0600, Shawn wrote:

> I have three dark sites, one very close
> http://cleardarksky.com/c/StnBrCOkey.html
> The other two a bit farther away, but darker (which is saying something!)

I think the magnitude readings on the Clear Sky Clock are a bit misleading
if not just plain off.  For instance, I live about 8 miles east of Everett,
Washington which is a city of an 80,000 population and is also just about
27 miles north of Seattle, Washington (with a metro of over 3 million).
Here is a link to the Everett CSC:
http://cleardarksky.com/c/EverettWAkey.html?1

Notice that it too shows 6.1 skies for a period of time like your clock
does.  And I know that the Everett readings are just plain wrong because
here in Lake Stevens (again, 8 miles away from Everett), I live away from
even its "core" and on a fairly dark street.  The best NELM I can achieve
is perhaps 5.1 to 5.3 on a GREAT night.

--
Martin R. Howell
"The Astro Post"