Re: Why Questars are so great

Subject: Re: Why Questars are so great
From: John Savard
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:19:01 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:57:33 -0400, Davoud <star@xxxxxxx> wrote, in

>I am /quite/ familiar with ARPANET, DARPANET, DCA (now DISA, my last
>assignment before retiring), and the early days of the Internet.

Back in 1982, there probably *was* an Internet, on which some people,
using PDP-11 computers at major educational institutions in North
America, were sending E-mail to one another.

But that's hardly here or there. More importantly, in 1982, there was a
Celestron, and there was a Sky and Telescope magazine to see their ads
in, and thus some people - if not those stationed in Vietnam - might
have been aware of other portable telescopes besides Questars.

To see if that is possible or not, I did a little Web hunting...

Celestron had introduced the C5, a 5" telescope, in 1971. However, a 5"
telescope is not as portable as a 3.5" telescope - and, although it was
cheaper than a Questar, it wasn't much cheaper than an 8" Celestron, so
it never got far off the ground.

In January 1982, the Criterion 4000 was intrduced just after Bell and
Howell bought Criterion.

The Meade 2045 was a 4" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that apparently
followed on the heels of the Meade 2080, introduced in 1980, but I
wasn't able to find a date for that one.

John Savard
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download to open account