sci.astro.amateur

Re: Why Questars are so great

Subject: Re: Why Questars are so great
From: John Savard
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 03:19:01 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
On Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:57:33 -0400, Davoud <star@xxxxxxx> wrote, in
part:

>I am /quite/ familiar with ARPANET, DARPANET, DCA (now DISA, my last
>assignment before retiring), and the early days of the Internet.

Back in 1982, there probably *was* an Internet, on which some people,
using PDP-11 computers at major educational institutions in North
America, were sending E-mail to one another.

But that's hardly here or there. More importantly, in 1982, there was a
Celestron, and there was a Sky and Telescope magazine to see their ads
in, and thus some people - if not those stationed in Vietnam - might
have been aware of other portable telescopes besides Questars.

To see if that is possible or not, I did a little Web hunting...

Celestron had introduced the C5, a 5" telescope, in 1971. However, a 5"
telescope is not as portable as a 3.5" telescope - and, although it was
cheaper than a Questar, it wasn't much cheaper than an 8" Celestron, so
it never got far off the ground.

http://astro.isi.edu//c5plus/history.html

In January 1982, the Criterion 4000 was intrduced just after Bell and
Howell bought Criterion.

http://www.telescopebluebook.com/sct/bandl.htm
http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~rhill/DYNASCOPE/criterion.html

The Meade 2045 was a 4" Schmidt-Cassegrain telescope that apparently
followed on the heels of the Meade 2080, introduced in 1980, but I
wasn't able to find a date for that one.

John Savard
http://www.quadibloc.com/index.html
Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups