sci.astro.amateur

Re: Why Questars are so great

Subject: Re: Why Questars are so great
From: "Tim Oltrogge"
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 20:48:28 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
"John Savard" <jsavard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:4450b778.1159741@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<snip>
> The Questar deservedly enjoys a high reputation for quality, and it is
> compact and convenient to use. For those who don't require a bigger
> telescope, and can afford to have the very best in a telescope of the
> size they do want, it certainly is a choice worth considering.
<snip>
> While I agree that other people shouldn't pass judgement on the kind of
> telescope YOU want to use, I don't see anything wrong with looking at
> the pros and cons of different telescopes so that I can decide which
> kind of telescope is best for what *I* want to use a telescope for. In
> such a discussion, if someone does say of a particular telescope that he
> cannot imagine what _anyone_ could use such a telescope for, that can be
> treated as a request for information. In the case of the Questar, what
> may be forgotten is that for some people, convenience and portability
> can be greater constraints than cost.
>
> John Savard

John, you wrote a very fine analysis here. I bought my Questar in 1971 not
really knowing anything about telescopes beyond the $50 f10 3.5-inch
Newtonian my father had. I basically believed the ads in Scientific American
that the Questar was probably very well made, so I bought one sight unseen
knowing it was going to be convenient to use, portable, and with enough
aperture to match the Newtonian. The only comparison I ever did objectively
was with a friend's 8-inch Celestron SCT in 1978. The Celestron had
significantly brighter images and the Questar had significantly sharper
objects across a wider field of view. There are pros and cons of everything
in life. I still enjoy my Questar 3.5, using it for terrestrial viewing
about 75% of the time. Thanks for your well-written thoughts.

Tim Oltrogge, Pittsburgh, PA, USA