sci.astro.amateur

Re: 73P

Subject: Re: 73P
From: Paul Schlyter
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:43:06 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
In article <21j8525htutm9a1u9ojdqbqius2cb6osfa@xxxxxxx>,
Chris L Peterson  <clp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 05:27:51 GMT, David Nakamoto
> <david.nakamoto@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Does not invalidate my argument, because it's the spacing between the
>> particles that counts.  From any one point on the earth the stream
>> averages out to be more or less the same density, changing slowly over
>> time, but not radically.
>
> Presumably, there is a good deal more material that is too fine to
> generate meteors at all. The vast majority of what a comet puts out is
> fine dust, which simply floats to the ground over a period of months if
> it encounters the Earth. We passed right through the tail of Halley in
> 1910, but I'm not aware of any reports of extraordinary meteor showers.

In 1910 Halley's nucleus also transited the solar disk (nothing was
seen on the Sun's disk, although people looked for it).  So any
extraordinary meteor shower from Halley would have been a daytime
shower, and therefore invisible to visual observers.  Ham radio
operators are able to "see" meteor showers also in the daytime, but
in 1910, there wasn't yet any ham radio.

> I'm not sure that Stardust encountered many sand sized particles- those
> would have been quite destructive. All the images I've seen so far have
> been microscopic dust particles.
>
> It would seem likely that a Stardust like probe could be launched into
> Earth orbit to collect samples if another comet came along with a tail
> crossing our path. But such comets are rare.
Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at stockholm dot bostream dot se
WWW:     http://stjarnhimlen.se/