sci.astro.amateur

Re: Parallax and Polaris

Subject: Re: Parallax and Polaris
From: "oriel36"
Date: 4 Apr 2006 03:17:42 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Chris L Peterson wrote:
> On 3 Apr 2006 13:02:14 -0700, MitchAlsup@xxxxxxx wrote:
>
> >Chris:
> >
> >Do you know how many arc seconds (or fraction thereof) Polaris moves
> >wrt the far background over the course of an earth year?
>
> The value in the Hipparcos catalog is 7.56 +/- 0.48 mas (i.e. 0.00756
> arcsec).
>
> The Hipparcos measurement of Polaris is an important one, since Polaris
> is the nearest Cepheid, and getting an accurate parallactic distance has
> helped calibrate the Cepheid period-luminosity relationship.

> Chris L Peterson
> Cloudbait Observatory
> http://www.cloudbait.com

What compounded the Flamsteed/Newton misconduct and errors even more
was Bradley's attempt to bring Ole Roemer's insight on finite light
distance   into the calendrically driven/celestial sphere framework
which is causing incredible obstacles to  the serious business of
climate imbalances.

The anomalous motion of Jupiter's satellite Io as seen and  resolved
from Earth  is another refinement of the  original Copernican  insight
for it compares the orbit of Earth with that of Jupiter and accounts
for the erratic motion of Io from the point of view of widening and
shortening orbital distances.

Of course,Newton mangled the Keplerian insight with the seperate
insight of Roemer and these greats refinements and working principles
have been lost for the last 3 centuries -

"For to the earth planetary motions appear sometimes direct, sometimes
stationary, nay, and sometimes retrograde. But from the sun they are
always seen direct, and to proceed with a motion nearly uniform, that
is to say, a little swifter in the perihelion and a little slower in
the aphelion distances, so as to maintain an equality in the
description of the areas. This a noted proposition among astronomers,
and particularly demonstrable in Jupiter, from the eclipses of his
satellites; by the help of which eclipses, as we have said, the
heliocentric longitudes of that planet, and its distances from the sun,
are determined." Newton

http://members.tripod.com/~gravitee/phaenomena.htm

What an achievement !,what a brilliant way to undo such careful work of
astronomers over millenia and dump it all into a celestial sphere
system where men can  framehop to their hearts content without
objection !.None of you know neither joy nor disappointment for these
things are common only to the great mind and the generous of heart,the
perversion of doing something wrong with nobody to object must  give
you all some perverse satisfaction but ultimately it is a  pimple
squeezing  exercise and nothing ion common with the insights of
Copernicus,Kepler and Roemer.