sci.astro.amateur

Re: How long for AP160?

Subject: Re: How long for AP160?
From: "Mark S. Holden"
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:36:28 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
michaelanderson4@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Which of course then begs the question;
Are these people collectors or observers?
If someone is really hard up for the absolute best, let the contact APM
and work out a deal
for a "special" TMB designed scope with it's
optics taken to the nth degree of perfection.
It might take a few months and might cost more,
but it's better than waiting for 10 years to observe with a scope you
want.
Life is short.

I've observed through a variety of TMB scopes - 80/6, 115/7 (mine), 130/6, and 175/8, and there hasn't been a dud in the bunch.

A friend just picked up a 229/9 and hopefully I'll be able to check it out in a week or two when his pier arrives.

The time delay for these scopes has ranged between 4 days (mine) and 9 months - though for the 9 month one, the buyer told Thomas to take his time as he didn't have a suitable mount yet.

I don't think you can really compare the costs between the two because if you go on the waiting list for an AP, the price will be determined when the scope is ready.

I've also observed through various AP scopes including the first couple Roland brought to Stellafane way back when. They're nice scopes.

Personally, I think if you're looking for an "investment" the AP is probably a good deal. But TMB offers more than a dozen sizes of scopes, the optics are great, and you can get them quickly.