sci.astro.amateur

Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?

Subject: Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?
From: Bert Hyman
Date: 21 Jul 2005 20:02:31 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
prune@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Paul Winalski) wrote in
news:45vvd11me3eofsn6t11va332pcbdsn26og@xxxxxxx:

> I disagree.
>
> Commercial demand for more and more compute power was, and would
> have continued to, drive circuit miniaturization in the absence
> of the space program.
>
> Did the space program accelerate the development of computer
> circuit miniaturization and thus the development of integrated
> circuits?  Very likely.  But it would have happened anyway.

But this way, the development was subsidized with tax money.

The government has a way of distorting the "natural" progression of
things by way of tax policy and regulation.

Things that would have happened sooner or later happen sooner. Or
maybe don't get done 'til much later. Or maybe never get done at all
because they're now illegal.

Things that nobody in their right mind would have done get done
anyway because there's a pile of "government money" available.

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN | bert@xxxxxxxxxxx