sci.astro.amateur

Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?

Subject: Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?
From: Marty
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 19:12:03 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
There are a few old platitudes that haven't been spouted yet, so I'll go
ahead and spout them...
     In the past, it was always recommended to learn the sky before you
buy a telescope.  Learn the major constellations naked eye, and learn
how to find deep sky objects with a decent pair of binoculars.  Now
days, with GOTO telescopes that can find things for you, this is often
disregarded.  I still remember doing this as a fun, rewarding, thrill,
and I still think it's good advise.  There is a LOT of stuff you can see
with a pair of 7 or 10 by 50 binoculars, and you'll use 'em even after
you get the scope of your dreams.
     Astronomy doesn't have to be expensive.  There are a number of guys
in this group who are "financially challenged" who are staples of the
group.  Of course, a wonderful, and expensive, scope is a treasure, but
if you go out under a dark sky with only your naked eyes and a
planisphere and begin to recognize some of the constellations, I promise
you that you won't be able to sleep that night.  The same thing goes
when you pick up that first deep sky object in a pair of binoculars.  If
these things don't give you a charge that keeps you awake that night,
you probably won't get much out of a telescope anyway.
     When it comes time to buy a scope, the advice given about going to
a star party and looking through various type of scopes and talking to
the people that the telescopes own, :) is good.  If there is nothing
like that around you, READ READ READ, and check out the scope buying
advise from this group.
     Have a good time!  This is a hobby that can make your entire life
better!
                           Marty