sci.astro.amateur

Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?

Subject: Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?
From: Tim Killian
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:13:40 -0600
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
But haven't all of these are gadgets just made us fat and lazy?  ;-)

I think the biggest legacy of the '60s space programs was the demonstration of a national will that didn't involve killing hundreds of thousands of people. That will was dissipated by the following generation. Today, 36 years after the first Moon landing and with all our wonderful "technology", we cannot repeat the feat and the Moon is something we look at through telescopes.

Pat O'Connell wrote:

The need for miniaturized electronics in satellites led to ICs, which led in turn to calculators, microprocessors, and their many descendants (for instance your car engine, your microwave oven, and of course your PC and MP3 player).

And then there's the Fisher Space Pen...