sci.astro.amateur

Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?

Subject: Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?
From: "CLT"
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 20:49:50 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Hi Cherokee,

It sort of depends on what you want to observe and how picky you are. The
problem is it is hard to answer those questions until you have done some
looking through telescopes. I'd recommend going to:
http://skyandtelescope.com/resources/organizations/ and finding your local
astro club. Go to their public nights. You'll get to look through a lot of
different telescopes and see for yourself what you like. And, there is
frequently a good starter scope around to buy used from someone who is
upgrading. Many clubs also have loaner scopes you can use for a month or
two. That will give you experience as well as show you what you personally
are going to want to insist on in a scope and mount.

Welcome to a great hobby!

Chuck Taylor
Do you observe the moon?

To reply, remove Delete and change period com to period net