sci.astro.amateur

Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?

Subject: Re: What does it cost for a newcomer to astronomy?
From: "Mark S. Holden"
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:34:45 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
Bill wrote:
Hi, Mark,

You are quite right that the costs do add up, and fast!!  (I am especially
fond of Takahashi equipment, and it does not come cheap.)   All of the items
that you mention are good to have -- some are essential -- and are well
worth the purchase price.

I hope the original poster will keep high-end apo refractors in mind.  TEC,
TMB, Takahashi, AP, Vixen, etc.  Although expensive, they will give a
lifetime of trouble-free enjoyment, and they have excellent resale value.

Bill

Cherokee may not decide an apo is the way for him to go, and that's fine with me, but they are an interesting option.

I think too many folks automatically assume a beginner should try to get away as cheap as they can. While this strategy works well for many, it's not for everyone. If the scope you buy can't live up to your expectations, you've wasted your money.