sci.astro.amateur

Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?

Subject: Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?
From: "canopus56"
Date: 26 Jul 2005 18:23:02 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
RS wrote:
> . . .I'd like to find information regarding direct benefits to human
> life as a result of . . . the space program . . . Anyone know of
> such benefits off-hand, or where I can find this information?

While surfing the NASA site, I came across the following phamplet on
common things we use today that were developed as a result of NASA
programs.

http://exploration.nasa.gov/documents/Benefits1.pdf

The phamplet makes claims for -

    LEDs (Light-emitting diodes) - used, well everywhere
    Household smoke detectors - used in most American homes
    Cordless power tools used in your home
    Energy efficient turbofan jets that fly over your head
    Improved Air Breathing units that firefighters wear
    Ultrasound scanners used by doctors
    The infra-red themometer
    Infra-red cameras (used to find energy leaks in your home)
    Portable community-wide water purification systems

- Canopus56