sci.astro.amateur

Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?

Subject: Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?
From: Paul Winalski
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 19:56:31 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
I disagree.

Commercial demand for more and more compute power was, and would
have continued to, drive circuit miniaturization in the absence
of the space program.

Did the space program accelerate the development of computer
circuit miniaturization and thus the development of integrated
circuits?  Very likely.  But it would have happened anyway.

-Paul W.

On 18 Jul 2005 09:42:11 -0700, MitchAlsup@xxxxxxx wrote:

>I might refer you to your home office. The computer sitting in there is
>a cirect result of the technology invented to enable the Apollo program
>to reach the moon and return safely. You remember--integrated circuits!

Remove 'Z' to reply by email.