sci.astro.amateur

Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?

Subject: Re: Earthly Benefits of the Space Program?
From: Wayne Howell
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 11:01:00 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
RS wrote:
In order to make a case for supporting the space program, I'd like to
find information regarding direct benefits to human life as a result
of research or discoveries gained by the space program - either
benfits already realized, or benefits hoped to be realized in the near
future.

Anyone know of such benefits off-hand, or where I can find this
information?

Thank you,
-RS
In the very earliest stages of the space program I was a close friend of an Air Force R&D guy....caution restrains me from going any deeper into his position. Because of him, I invested in a small company with the absurd name of "Space Craft Inc.". This outfit was developing a specific wire recorder for data storage. They eventually received a quite nice contract related to the space program.

As a result of the work they did for their space program work, they then went into monitoring and data collection equipment, and had much to do with the medical monitoring of astronauts. Later, the company name was changed to "SCI" and they were (and, still are) major producers of human monitoring equipment such as used in ICU's, CCU's, etc.

This is a direct spin-off from the space program. Incidentally, I made a nice return on my investment.

Wayne Howell
Photon Phlats Observatory
Port Townsend, WA