sci.astro.amateur

Re: Meade 7 inch Maks!

Subject: Re: Meade 7 inch Maks!
From: Paul Schlyter
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 08:51:19 +0200
Newsgroups: sci.astro.amateur
In article <42BA54A5.3A80414B@xxxxxxx>, bbbbbbbb@xxxxxxx says...

>William McHale wrote:
>

>> The issue wasn't using the same eyepiece; it was the claim that the
>> instrument
>> was dimmer period because of a longer f/ratio.
>
>A telescope without an eyepiece is worthless.
>
>I always must use eyepieces in my telescope'. I guess you have the kind
>that doesnt take them or has one glued in? Oh well. Learn something new
>ever day.
>
>B.

As a matter of fact, you *can* use a telescope without eyepiece!  To do
this, you must use your own eyes as an "eyepiece": keep your eyes some 15-20
cm away from where the eyepiece normally is (it should be removed when you
do this).  Then you'll see the image at prime focus directly. Focus your
eyes on this image -- and you may be surprised at what you can see.

Using this method, I have seen the largest craters on the Moon, and the
Galilean satellites of Jupiter, through a telescope where the eyepiece had
been removed.  Depending on the focal length of the scope, you can get some
5-20 x magnification in this way.  But you'll get a very narrow field of
view!

--
Paul Schlyter,  Grev Turegatan 40,  SE-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at saaf dot se