sci.archaeology

Re: Latest on Newport Tower dig

Subject: Re: Latest on Newport Tower dig
From: Eric Stevens
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 12:17:11 +1300
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology
On Sun, 03 Dec 2006 22:38:36 +0100, Peter Alaca <p.alaca@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>Eric Stevens wrote:

>>> So the two 'naysayers' Eric and Inger never saw it.
>>> Interesting.
>>
>> I'm not a naysayer. Quite the reverse, in fact. I want to do
>> things.
>> The naysayers are the ones who don't want to do things. Did you
>> study
>> english under George Orwell?       :-)
>
>No, under Inger Johansson
>
>> Apart from that: of course I've never seen it. The probability of
>> me,
>> in Auckland, New Zealand, flying over the Newport Tower in an
>> aeroplane is virtually zero. But somebody has both seen and
>> reported
>> it.
>
>I didn't expect that you saw the real thing.
>What I did expect is that when you keep talking
>about such a feature, you at least saw a photo
>of it

Peter, I think you are trying to be trying. When I first raised this
question I quite clearly wrote:

Begin quote
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Suzanne Carlson in her article 'Tilting at Windmills: The Newport
Tower' NEARA Journal Vol XXX, 3&4, wrote:

   "... it is interesting that on many air photos of the park, one
    sees a color variation of the grass approximately twenty
    meters southeast from the tower which forms a sharp
    rectangular outline, perhaps a house foundation."

Attempts have been made in the past (I think both Mallory and Godfrey)
to obtain permission to explore this area but the permission has
always been withheld. I would like to think that this time, this area
was explored with Ground Penetrating Radar and electrical resistance
measurements but it would not surprise me to find that it was not
included in the current exploration.
End quote

There is nothing in that to suggest that I have done any more than
read Suzanne Carlson's article. I have not seen the photograph she
refers to. I certainly have not seen the site.

Why on earth should you think I know any more about than I wrote?

>--
>p.a.

Eric Stevens