sci.archaeology

Re: Scientist Says Concrete Was Used in Pyramids

Subject: Re: Scientist Says Concrete Was Used in Pyramids
From: Florian
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 23:10:38 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology
Matt Giwer <jull43@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       And I presume people who have never layed concrete are impressed
> with the first discussion of it.

that reconstituted limestone can't be handle like concrete because it is
simply not concrete. as someone pointed out, the term concrete is
misleading.

>       You mean they had to be rolled downhill first?

No. I mean that there is no water inthe wadi outside of flooding period.

>       What does characterizing this kind of limestone have to do with
> showing it is concrete?

There are no natural limestone with these characterics (except for the
bubbles according to prd). Personally, I've never seen natural
limestones with bubbles.

>       One would expect visual inspection to be sufficient to establish
> whether or not it is in fact concrete.

That's what Barsoum is actually claiming. You have too look carefully,
though.

> > Again. The process described by Davidovits does not involve as much
> > extensive burning.
>
>       Any burning is more expensive.

Davidovits says that the bakery itself provided enough ashes for the
reconstituted limestone.

-- Florian

"Tout est au mieux dans le meilleur des mondes possibles" Voltaire vs
Leibniz