sci.archaeology

Re: What are your 3 favorite historic civilizations and why?

Subject: Re: What are your 3 favorite historic civilizations and why?
From: "john"
Date: 23 Dec 2006 23:31:05 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, soc.history.ancient, alt.history.british, soc.history.medieval, alt.history
prd wrote:

> Syracruz, Alexander the Great (persian conquest), Seige of Athens, Fall of
> Troy if you believe myths.

Maybe you're right.  I thought about Troy, but, at least according to
the Illiad, that wasn't
exactly an imperialistic war.

Alexander and after I guess would count as a militarily achieved
empire.  Again, I can't put my finger on it, but somehow I see a
distinct contrast between the Greek empire and the Roman one.  The
Greek seemed to rely more on cultural cohesion and the benefits they
brought to the conquered lands, and not on an occupying military force
to maintain things.

I'll have to learn more about the events of Syracuse.

Cheers,

John