sci.archaeology

Re: Masse on the subject of the 'Broken Bow' crater

Subject: Re: Masse on the subject of the 'Broken Bow' crater
From: Larry Caldwell
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:55:10 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, soc.history.ancient
In article <0pm6n2hpk5s0tntuc042il7r0v761kphtu@xxxxxxx>,
eric.stevens@xxxxxxxxx (Eric Stevens) says...
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2006 12:54:56 -0800, Larry Caldwell
> <firstnamelastinitial@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >In the Zoroastrian cosmology, the end of the world will happen when the
> >Earth is struck by a comet.  I always wondered if that implied that
> >someone in the area actually witnessed an impact, perhaps associated
> >with the close approach of a comet.
>
> Do you have any idea of from when this idea dates?

I have no clue, and I don't think the Zoroastrians do either.  They did
something that really beaked Iskander off, and he burned all the ancient
Zoroastrian texts when he conquered Persia.  Almost all the ancient
scriptures were destroyed or had to be recreated from memory.

I am not familiar enough with the texts to find the earliest reference,
but the major reference dates from the Middle Persian "Bundahishn" text.

All the Zoroastrian scriptures are available online in English
translation at http://avesta.org/.  A quick reference to the comet is at
http://www.avesta.org/zcomet.html.

You might also scroll down on that page to the "Three saviors and the
resurrection" heading, and take a look at verses 10-18.  I don't know if
snow in the summertime is related to a comet strike, but there is some
interesting text to mine there.

--
For email, replace firstnamelastinitial
with my first name and last initial.