sci.archaeology

Re: less

Subject: Re: less
From: Martin Edwards
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:18:36 -0700
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, sci.lang, soc.history.ancient
Ruud Harmsen wrote:
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 10:09:47 GMT: Matt Giwer
<jull43@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>: in sci.lang:

        Grow up.

Can't, I'm already 51. Help!!

that the Vulgate was translated by Jerome, who "wandte sich ab 390 der
Übersetzung des Alten Testaments zu – nicht wie die meisten anderen
frühchristlichen Bibelübersetzungen aus der griechischen Septuaginta,
sondern unter Benutzung des hebräischen Urtexts."

What were those those Hebrew originals if the Mishnaic texts were
finalized around 1000 AD, and the Dead Scrolls were discovered in
1947?

So you agree they were created at least a thousand years after the Septuagint or do you not?

It's what I read somewhere. I don't know if it's true. BTW, I said
'finalized', not 'created'. Quite a difference.

        Nothing you said challenges what I have stated that I can see.
        EVIDENCE please.

Meanwhile, you didn't answer my question (which wasn't specifically
directed to you, but I welcome amybody's answers).

When do you think the Vulgata was written?
Based on what sources? Greek, Aramaic, Hebrew? Which ones?

Earlier Latin sources. They needed a standard version, so the emerging "catholic" faith was unambiguous, or fairly unambiguous.

--
You can't fool me: there ain't no Sanity Clause - Chico Marx

www.geocities.com/Athens/Agora/1955