sci.archaeology

Re: Anglo-Saxons before the migration

Subject: Re: Anglo-Saxons before the migration
From: "David J. Starr"
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:57:30 -0400
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, soc.history.medieval
Peter Alaca wrote:
As for the firewood, Pliny gives a very good description
of peat cutting:
 " .../they fashion the mud, too, with their hands/,
   /and drying it by the help of the winds more than/
   /of the sun, cook their food by its aid, and so/
   /warm their entrails, frozen as they are by the/
   /northern blasts/... "
As far as I know, this is the earliest written record
of peat cutting.

Ah yes. I missed that key bit on first reading. I thought Pliny was speaking of making mud brick. I missed the "cook their food by its aid" clause the first time I read it.

David Starr