sci.archaeology

Re: A question...

Subject: Re: A question...
From: Seppo Renfors
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:56:27 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, sci.lang

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:

> Seppo Renfors wrote:
> >
> > Alan Crozier wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm cross-posting this to sci.lang, where experts can confirm that Seppo
> > > is wrong to claim
> > > that the term "Aryan" was NEVER used to refer to the Indo-European group
> > > of languages.
> >
> > aha...... and find the kind of "experts" who don't even understand
> > plain English words like "first" among many others, eg one Peter
> > Daniels..... yeah right... Pffffttt.....
>
> Have you looked in the Ninth Britannica yet?

What... bother with anything from YOU? You have to be kidding, right?

> > In any event you ask the wrong question to begin with. The correct
> > initial question should be; when was the IE language family
> > defined/identified, and accepted?  Secondly EVEN IF you manage to find
> > some obscure references (like your own that failed) all you will find
> > is an ERROR as the "Aryan" language group doesn't belong to the IE
> > family!
>
> The IE family was defined gradually. Jones in 1786 identified the core
> classical languages; Bopp in 1816(?) listed all the ones he treated in
> his title; Armenian wasn't recognized as non-Indo-Iranian until 1875;
> Tocharian and Hittite were deciphered in the second decade of the 20th
> century; Carian was shown to be IE only ca. 1990.

.....  and as I have said, it was a "work in progress" one that was
never accepted sufficiently until the nomenclature "Indo-European" was
accepted. In fact it is still a "work in progress".

> The people who still use "Aryan" to denote a language group use it for
> what the rest of us call "Indo-Iranian,"

Is it any wonder I don't bother with what you are on about when you
pull clangers like that?

> and "Indo-Aryan" is still the
> most common term for what more perspicuously is called simply "Indic,"
> the partner of "Iranian."

Oh well, so it is whatever you care to think of next.... apparently -
though for the record I actually AGREE with the above, but for the
comment re "partner of Iranian" nonsense.

> Isn't Seppo the one who doesn't understand the term "native speaker"?

Oh but he DOES.... and he is well aware if the USE of it too.... but
then Peter Daniels is the one, I still hold a "dictionary" of words it
cannot understand, eg like the word "first".

--
SIR - Philosopher unauthorised
The one who is educated from the wrong books is not educated, he is