sci.archaeology

Re: A question...

Subject: Re: A question...
Date: 30 Mar 2006 12:08:59 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, sci.lang
Seppo Renfors wrote:
> Alan Crozier wrote:
> >
> > I'm cross-posting this to sci.lang, where experts can confirm that Seppo is
> > wrong to claim
> > that the term "Aryan" was NEVER used to refer to the Indo-European group of
> > languages.
>
> aha...... and find the kind of "experts" who don't even understand
> plain English words like "first" among many others, eg one Peter
> Daniels..... yeah right... Pffffttt.....
>
> In any event you ask the wrong question to begin with. The correct
> initial question should be; when was the IE language family
> defined/identified, and accepted?

As Peter has explained, the identification of this family of languages
is generally dated from Sir William Jones's famous address in 1786.
Jones included Sanskrit, Greek, Latin, Persian, Gothic and Celtic as
branches of this family. Certainly by the mid 19th century its
existence was generally accepted.

Here are some dictionary entries that attest to the use of "Aryan" to
refer to this language family:

Webster's New International Dictionary  (1909)

Aryan  3. The parent tongue of the Indo-European languages, either the
language spoken by an original Aryan race or its hypothetical
reconstruction; hence, Indo-European speech in general.

Encyclopedic Dictionary (ed.Robert Hunter, Philadelphia, 1894)

Aryan  A.1. Belonging to the great family of human languages described
below:
Aryan family of languages: A great family of languages sometimes,
though rarely, and not quite accurately, called Japhetic; more
frequently designated as the Indo-European or Indo-Germanic family of
tongues.

OED (from the online version, but obviously an old definition)

Aryan  A adj. 1.a Applied by some to the great division or family of
languages, which includes Sanskrit, Zend, Persian, Greek, Latin,
Celtic, Teutonic and Slavonic, with their modern representatives; also
called Indo-European, Indo-Germanic, and sometimes Japhetic.

New Oxford Dictionary of English (2nd ed, 2003)

Aryan ...Old-fashioned term for Proto-Indo-European or for
Indo-Iranian.

Hope this helps.

Ross Clark

Secondly EVEN IF you manage to find