sci.archaeology

Re: A question...

Subject: Re: A question...
From: "Day Brown"
Date: 28 Mar 2006 23:32:20 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology
In any case, I dont see why we need to accept the Nazi definition of
"Aryan". Nietzsche and many pre-Nazi era scholars used the term in a
reasonably consistent fashion, and I'd go with them; they were much
better educated than the Nazis or their more recent fans.

Regarding the decline in longevity that came with agriculture. a report
on the Native Americans suggested there was a dramatic decline from 26
to 19 that came in with the domesticaton of maize. Given the lack of
nutrition in corn, not unexpected.

But this kind of monoculture is more typical of patriarchic systems in
contrast to the wide variety of wild & domestic plants and animals seen
in the bone middens of the matriarchic Danubian cultures of the
Chalcolithic era. Recent data is suggesting how important trace
minerals (largely from wild sources) is for optimum physical health and
mental development.

The disaster of the Irish potato famine is a clear example of
patriarchic monoculture with the 'Be fruitful & multiply" idea that men
have. Women, who have to push the kids out their own asses are not so
eager. Given their druthers, they want to be far more sure that the
resources to properly raise a kid are in place before bearing one.

Granted that there were lots of European bull cults. But this was
*after* the domestication of the horse which empowered men to be in
better control of more spirited bulls. But this stands in sharp
contrast to the Minoan images we see of girls using bulls in athletic
displays.

Then too, there's the point of who it is that pays for the bull
iconography. Alpha male leaders. When you get back on the farm, such as
where I was born, *nobody* wanted such spirited fearsome bulls. That
was a separate breed raised for the propagandistic purposes alpha male
tyrants. This stands in stark contrast to my own experience, such as
just last week when the neighbor's stock got out.

Three of us never gave it a thot that we could not drive the bull and
his cows, which weighed well over 1000 pounds each, out of our paddock.
Nor did it occur to any of his stock to try to disobey me, who had no
more than a stick for a 'weapon'. Sure the mighty bull is a dangerous
image, but that's what it was intended to be: an *image* to pander to
the psychology of male leaders, and not at all representative of what
life was really like.