sci.archaeology

Re: Vikings used German weapons

Subject: Re: Vikings used German weapons
From: "ie" <I_e,>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 09:51:16 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology
"JerryT" <not@xxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
news:1UNPe.32449$d5.187065@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Alaca" <P.Alaca@xxxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
> > JerryT wrote:  mTHPe.32416$d5.187265@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> >  > "Alaca" skrev

> > > Last time the ananova link was posted was
> > > 15 June.
> >
> > Well done Jerry.
> > You are a PhD groupy I understand. You even have
> > very cute petnames for him.
> >

> He tell people what not to do
> and then do it himself  And in the
> not so noble art of using 'petnames',
> he is the master. But if you got an
> education and a few letters to put
> after your name, it may be OK to
> behave like an..#¤%¤#..when posting to
> sci.archaeology.
>
> > > Then Philip Deitiker made this reply quoted below.
> >
> > Oh, that is very kind of you Jerry, but there was realy
> > no need for that.
> > Following the Arch-Metals link and thinking about it
> > is more than enough.
> >

> Then you may not want to know this.....
>
> (quote)
> The distribution of Ulfberht blades, from Iceland to Russia,
> reveals the importance of the Frankish arms
> trade.Carolingian rulers attempted to insure that Frankish
> weapons were not exported to potential enemies, and in 864
> Charles the Bald threatened anyone caught supplying arms to
> the Vikings with the death penalty. It is important to note,
> however, that the king took this step because the practice
> was already widespread, and the archeological evidence
> likewise suggests that export embargoes were unsuccessful.
> One early tenth-century Arab writer, Ibn Fadlan, even
> remarked that the Vikings in Russia carried swords of
> Frankish type.
> (end quote)

So did many of the other Arab Historians and Geographers from early Viking
Age on forward.

> > [...]
> >
> > > Now lets see if he has something more to say....
> >
> > And how about you?
> >

> Oh, I am more into the theory that Thors hammer
> was the hilt of a broken sword and the body the blade,
> making the bearer of the hammer a true warrior of Christ.
> Thus the Vikings must have been the first soldiers in the
> Salvation Army. Evidence is findings of a few hammers
> with a cross engraved.
>
> http://home.swipnet.se/kgdata/ansgar.html#Thor's%20hammer

One of which also holds a carved marking which is signicant to the mark used
by one of the Indian tribes. That very Thor's hammer is interesting in an
other way as well because it seems according to statement to have been made
from almost or completely pure silver.

Inger E