sci.archaeology

Re: Big Roman Dig Latest News

Subject: Re: Big Roman Dig Latest News
From: "IEJ"
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 05:34:35 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.archaeology, soc.history.ancient
"deowll" <deowll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> skrev i meddelandet
news:X22Ae.45838$qm.3125@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> "Alaca" <P.Alaca@xxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > IEJ wrote:  WoZze.141782$dP1.494952@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
> > faded a bit.
> >>
> >> I have been thinking about a 'detail' question, maybe not important,
> >> but here it goes: did the Roman wear any kind of socks in cold
> >> climate ...
> >
> > No and, more excitingly, no pants.
> > But they had very long johns.
> > Was that the 'detail' you was thinking about?
> >
> They wore socks up near Hadrians wall. They've got some of the socks and
> they've got letters about socks.

Now to the detail. or small details. What was the socks made of and how did
they keep them clean (and soft) enough not to caught (gall-)sores? If one
today walk over long distances each and other hour one need to make
arrangements, change socks clean feet etc etc. Otherwise the long walk in
the end would be a pain. But how did the Romans prevent that? Never read
anything about those details.

Inger E

<snip>