sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Possible interbreeding of HS and preexisting populations

Subject: Re: Possible interbreeding of HS and preexisting populations
From: "Paul Crowley"
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:50:55 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"deowll" <deowll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:3YYTg.16868$GY5.4206@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> The Northern Hss population would have started fairly dark and changed
> through time. The red
> headed gene predates Cro-Magnons and is most likely to have survived in the
> North land and
> cloudy Europe so my guess is not all of Cro-Magnon were dark. You also have
> the issue of how
> people who wore body covering cloths got enough vitamin D in the winter. I
> suspect that some
> really major selection for fair skin occurred in the cooler climates of
> Eurasia at about this
> time.
>
> This amounts to a catch twenty two. Without tailored cloths Hss was very
> poorly adapted to
> extremely low temperatures. They died of hypothermia or starvation.

It is foolish to think that any stone-age
Europeans were adapted to "extremely low
temperatures".  They did not have to be.
The Gulf Stream warms the coasts, and
keeps them frost-free, even in winter,
and even in the depths of an ice age.
(Where would you chose to live if you
sought a European residence 25 kya?)

Of course, the coasts then were mostly a
long distance from those of the present day,
and the hominid sites are mostly under
about 300 feet of water.  The Cro-Magnons
and the Neanderthals did not live where
their fossils are found -- even if that is the
assumption on which brain-dead PA people
routinely work.

Paul.