sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Absence of Canines in Apiths

Subject: Re: Absence of Canines in Apiths
From: "Jim McGinn"
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 20:08:05 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"JAE" <jae@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1133458908.157658.93360@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> quercophile wrote:
> > Jim McGinn wrote:
> >
> > > Communal selection explains it.  Not warfare.  Chimp vs. chimp
warefare is
> > > completely impossible for a species that has yet to achieve ecological
> > > dominance.  It is only after Apith achieved ecological dominance that
apith
> > > vs. apith wars are possible.
> >

> > Jane Goodall observed one troop of chimps systematically killing all
> > the male and older female members of an adjacent trioop, taking over a
> > large chunk of their territory, (They were unable to patrol it all and
> > lost some to other adjacent chimp troops.) and co-opting the fecund
> > females. Maybe you don't want to call it warfare but it looks like it
> > to me.
>
> Jim will most likely not regard this as warfare (or warefare, whatever
> that is).

Yes, you're right.  Read my response to Q and see if you can address it's
details on a point by point basis.

> Jim is notorious for defining terminology to fit his
> particular prejudices and doesn't let anything like data get in his
> way.

So you're saying I should assume your vague, amorphous approach and if I
don't that's because I'm prejudice.  Isn't this, basically, the same tactic
that creationists employ?  Isn't it, in fact, true that you don't have any
data that disputes my thinking you, actually, want me to dismiss it with the
same blind conviction that you employ.

You're not fooling anybody worth fooling, Jason.

Jim