Re: Eating insects, not meat...

Subject: Re: Eating insects, not meat...
From: ""
Date: 5 Nov 2005 08:24:11 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"When you are can always survive with this trick:"

    IIRC, second harvest is mentioned about the Coihuilticans in
_Indians of Texas_.   (Guess this reference dates me.)

"Kyle Chamberlain has a good recipe for snakes and mice. Kyle's
technique is to impale them shish-ca-bob style on a willow stick and
roast them over an open fire.  He claims they are great, guts, head and

all ( of course they taste like chicken).  What is unusual here is the
fact that Kyle did this for 29 days straight (alone) in a
semi-wilderness area last summer. He  started with a gallon of water, 2

lbs. of rice, clothes on his back, a wool blanket, pocket knife and a
tin can.  His meals were catch as catch can.  "

   Also, see Farley Mowat, _Cry Wolf_.   Mowat says one should eat eggs
with these mice, or one may become impotent.   I've heard it said,
though, that Mowat never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    And, of course, dogs were routinely eaten in Antarctic exploration
- the liver leading to vitamen D poisoning in some cases.

"(account of the Donner party. Lee Olsen "

     I know what my opinion is of refusing the Indians a share of the
food in the first place, but, like the cannibal said, if God didn't
mean man to be eaten, why did He make him of meat?
       John GW