sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Eating insects, not meat...

Subject: Re: Eating insects, not meat...
From: ""
Date: 5 Nov 2005 08:24:11 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"When you are starving......you can always survive with this trick:"

    IIRC, second harvest is mentioned about the Coihuilticans in
_Indians of Texas_.   (Guess this reference dates me.)

"Kyle Chamberlain has a good recipe for snakes and mice. Kyle's
technique is to impale them shish-ca-bob style on a willow stick and
roast them over an open fire.  He claims they are great, guts, head and

all ( of course they taste like chicken).  What is unusual here is the
fact that Kyle did this for 29 days straight (alone) in a
semi-wilderness area last summer. He  started with a gallon of water, 2

lbs. of rice, clothes on his back, a wool blanket, pocket knife and a
tin can.  His meals were catch as catch can.  "

   Also, see Farley Mowat, _Cry Wolf_.   Mowat says one should eat eggs
with these mice, or one may become impotent.   I've heard it said,
though, that Mowat never let the truth get in the way of a good story.
    And, of course, dogs were routinely eaten in Antarctic exploration
- the liver leading to vitamen D poisoning in some cases.

"(account of the Donner party. Lee Olsen "

     I know what my opinion is of refusing the Indians a share of the
food in the first place, but, like the cannibal said, if God didn't
mean man to be eaten, why did He make him of meat?
     Cheers,
       John GW