sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Amerind mtDNA lines Founded by coastal and Riparian colonization

Subject: Re: Amerind mtDNA lines Founded by coastal and Riparian colonization
From: "JAE"
Date: 23 Nov 2005 22:54:48 -0800
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo, sci.archaeology
Lee Olsen wrote:
> JAE wrote:

> > A,B,C and X disappeared?  We found
> > DNA from one individual.  An individual can only have one mtDNA
> > haplogroup.  If you have one person, you can only detect one
> > haplogroup.
>
> Then that is what I did not understand. I've never seen results in any
> other form but pie charts or bar graphs for populations (or percentages
> of them), so I guess it never occurred to me what might make up a
> single individual. A haplogroup of one (group of one?) seems like a
> contradictory definition.

It is a group of closely related mtDNA types.  "Haplo" because mtDNA is
by and large a single copy system where a person only has one mtDNA
type, and "group" as opposed to "type," when we lump similar types
together.  The haplogroups were assessed from studies of populations
with multiple samples.  The labels of the groups are still labels of
the haplogroups even when you are discussing one particular person.