sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Paraculture - tending wild resources, but not domesticating them

Subject: Re: Paraculture - tending wild resources, but not domesticating them
From: Philip Deitiker
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 04:16:44 GMT
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"rmacfarl" <rmacfarl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> says  in
news:1123546895.440357.31840@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> richardparker01@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Perhaps our dog taboo has something to do with our coming out
>> of the hunting/gathering stage quite a bit later than many
>> others did. Did Mexicans only start eating their dogs when they
>> became civilised ? Do North American Indians eat their hunting
>> dogs?

Some tribes ate dogs, many used dogs to make ceremonial clothing.
The folks I hung around in San Antonio ate just about everything, if
it walked, they ate it. About the only thing they never ate was a
water mocassin, and those are just plain nasty. Squirrel, Racoon,
Possum, Rattlesnake, Armadillo, wild piggies, Deer, Mexican Vultures,
Rabbits, can't say they ever ate a coyote, but those are damn hard to
catch, even at night they are on the move.

> Food taboos may develop for initially rational reasons, and
> persist beyond their usefulness. I've heard it said that a few
> thousand years ago wild pigs in the Middle East were the
> carriers of a lot of disease, and that may be why the Jews
> developed taboos about pork.

They are ground feeders, scavengers. Ever heard of mad pig disease?
OTOH, they have a very similar immune system as humans, which means
diseases frequently have crossed, like swine flu, for instance.
However, maybe a better reason is the issue of escaped pigs, as we
see around, ferrel pigs are a first class pest, they can tear the
hell out of natural ecosystems fast, and damage both lifestock and
property.

> India has long been a populous
> country where dairy-derived foods and dung used as fuel mean
> that Hindu proscription of killing cattle isn't so irrational
> as it seems to lovers of lasagna.

If you have a working dog you are not going to eat it, you might eat
excess immature dogs or cats, but eating the fully grown critters is
hard on the teeth and the GI track, not to mention the high levels of
vitamin A in various body parts carnivores accumulate.

> I have a relative by marriage from Thailand; it was hilarious
> when her mother would come to visit. She didn't have any English
> but when she'd point at my Mum's tiny white Maltese furball, run
> her finger across her neck and laugh uproariously - she didn't
> need any. Maybe that's why poor Tuppence died of a heart attack
> a couple of years ago... :-)

Orientals like their dogs, they favor the dingo-like dogs often gone
wild outside the cities. Cute little lap dogs and dogs that don't get
much excercize are also favorites. But here again, where did SARS
come from, a serville cat from South East China. Another thing, in
many chinese towns you will not see dog, cat or rats. There is only
one predator, everything else is prey.