sci.anthropology.paleo

Re: Australia - Fire From Humans Caused Extinctions

Subject: Re: Australia - Fire From Humans Caused Extinctions
From: "rmacfarl"
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 15:31:51 +1000
Newsgroups: sci.anthropology.paleo
"Philip Deitiker" <Donevenask@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:9kGze.402058$cg1.81407@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> "Dar Habel" <Dar_83001@xxxxxxxxx> says  in
>

>> Rich Travsky wrote:
>>> round - what round is this? 7? 8? - in what killed 'em off
>>>
>>>  http://www.nature.com/news/2005/050704/full/050704-10.html
>>
>> Actually, it's round 78.  Expect round 79 momentarily.
>
> And to recap, remember I said that I though LM3 was between 50 and 55
> kya.

And I can't help noting that dating is a sufficiently inexact science that
every contrary datum can be met by questioning the dating - a la the final
paragraph of the Nature article:

"
But Miller argues that more accurately dated fossils are needed to support
this theory. "The Cuddie Springs dating remains very contentious," he says.
"Most agree that the extinction event occurred between 50,000 and 45,000
years ago."
"

Ross Macfarlane