sci.agriculture.poultry

Re: Humane practices...

Subject: Re: Humane practices...
From: OmManiPadmeOmelet
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:33:17 -0500
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.poultry
In article <4508d18f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
 Ginny <glvl88REMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I must be a hard and callous person. I didn't find it that distressing
> but then we kill all our own meat and have done since I was married (my
> connection meant I could only watch the second half properly).
>
> I look at people living in the city and it just looks the same as an
> intensive animal system to me. On the news every night I see humans
> doing worse to other humans for less than ideal motives. I have been
> through a cattle abattoir and found it quick, efficient and a lot more
> humane than the one videoed. It probably differs from business to
> business, just as it does in all areas of life. I do think that as an
> animal keeper I have a responsibility to be as humane as possible to our
> livestock but then, it makes good business sense to do so as stressed
> animals do not fatten well. Plus I'm getting too old to jump the cattle
> yard rails getting away from angry stock ;-).
>
> I'll get back in my box now :-)

That's okay... ;-)

Perhaps I should have explained what bothered me about it.

It was not the slaughter scenes. Brutal, yes, but normal and typical. I
did not see any animals suffering there, not really. And the lies about
them ending up live in the scalding vats was bullshit.

Even if the stunning was done incorrectly, they are still cut and bled
out before they get anywhere near any scalding vats. No animal survives
being bled out......

Also all animals are going to struggle in death throes. It's normal and
I don't think there is anything that can be done to stop that. I just
restrain the feet and wings of birds when I kill them until it stops.

What bothered me were some of the living conditions, and, worse, the
shipping methods. It really bothered me to see crippled animals having
to be dragged out of the trucks etc. after shipping. That's just wrong.

There has to be a better way....... and still be able to do it
profitably. It might end up being cheaper to do it right than simply
expecting to lose a percentage of otherwise usable animals to the
process.

There looked to be some uncaring and sadistic people running some of the
processing.
--
Peace!
Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a  "
-- Jack Nicholson