Re: fighting

Subject: Re: fighting
From: "Jill"
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:43:14 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.poultry
enigma wrote:
> the blue & black Orp roosters are fighting each other. killed
> a dark blue roo last night sometime between 5pm & 7pm. they
> seem to start fighting around 5, since i just separated
> Coppertop from his antagonist. he was exhausted & i really
> don't want to lose him. Tom says one pair of blacks is
> fighting & the 2 remaining blues are fighting. is there any
> chance they'll stop once they're completely separated from the
> hens?
> my other roos didn't fight each other & they were all in the
> same coop as the hens, so i'm not used to this.
> lee

What are you feeding?
We have bachelor flocks and have found that aggresion is higher with a lower
protein feed
If you are feeding mainly straights and grains try adding layers pellets to
their ration
Space is another issue
as is their proximity to any girls

Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment,  Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland