sci.agriculture.poultry

Re: fighting

Subject: Re: fighting
From: "Jill"
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:43:14 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.poultry
enigma wrote:
> the blue & black Orp roosters are fighting each other. killed
> a dark blue roo last night sometime between 5pm & 7pm. they
> seem to start fighting around 5, since i just separated
> Coppertop from his antagonist. he was exhausted & i really
> don't want to lose him. Tom says one pair of blacks is
> fighting & the 2 remaining blues are fighting. is there any
> chance they'll stop once they're completely separated from the
> hens?
> my other roos didn't fight each other & they were all in the
> same coop as the hens, so i'm not used to this.
> lee

What are you feeding?
We have bachelor flocks and have found that aggresion is higher with a lower
protein feed
If you are feeding mainly straights and grains try adding layers pellets to
their ration
Space is another issue
as is their proximity to any girls

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment,  Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk