sci.agriculture.poultry

Re: Foxes, ladies and weapons

Subject: Re: Foxes, ladies and weapons
From: " Jill"
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 08:17:38 +0100
Newsgroups: sci.agriculture.poultry
"Ginny" <glvl88REMOVETHIS@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:447e3333$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>  Jill wrote:
>
>> I would have mine surrounded by electric netting by now
>>

> Don't think its legal here.

http://www.allsun.com.au/Electranets.html
first off the list in google

> We can use plain wire only or horse tape. No netting or barb to be
> electrified I think but I will check it out.

You do not electrify stock fence

> Actually electric fence is hard to earth here due to our more drier
> climate.

I did not say it was without ANY work but to me some work is better than
what you are witnessing andy our stock is experiencing

> Works well in winter but the ground is too dry for much of the year.

A small working paddock for your lambing is certainly workable. Take an
extra bucket of water out with you each time you check the stock and a ladle
and pour some at each stake

The chickens can have the size relevant to the flcok size that is moved to
fresh grazing as required.
Do as above

> We use it for cattle but the smallest short will put it out.

All fencing requires good manangement
All livestock keeping requires good and constant management
All predators will take advantage of weaknesses
To have a trouble free life one would have to have a livestock free life
:~)

--

regards
Jill Bowis

Pure bred utility chickens and ducks
Housing; Equipment,  Books, Videos, Gifts
Herbaceous; Herb and Alpine nursery
Working Holidays in Scotland
http://www.kintaline.co.uk