samba@lists.samba.org

[Samba] Name to address resolution: A and AAAA records

Subject: [Samba] Name to address resolution: A and AAAA records
From: Ernesto Silva
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:42:48 -0200
Hi,  I'm installing a few linux clients and one server with samba. The
network addresses are IPv6 in the .local domain.

The avahi-daemon implements de MDSN resolver.

A standard "ping6 -Ieth0 servername.local" generates a "AAAA" query packet
which is correctly responded by the servername.local machine and the ping
works fine.

"smbclient -L servername.local" generates a "A" query packet, which de
avahi-daemon can't respond because (I think) it's a IPv4 query over a IPv6
channel, and there is not IPv4 address to answer.

Shouldn't smbclient query for a "AAAA" record over a IPv6 channel?

Please, tell me if you believe this question is not for this list.

Best regards,
Ernesto Silva.