samba@lists.samba.org

Re: [Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux

Subject: Re: [Samba] NetBIOS name resolution from Linux
From: Olivier Parisy
Date: Sat, 17 May 2008 13:41:08 +0200
John H Terpstra a écrit :
On Friday 16 May 2008 09:22:43 am Charles Marcus wrote:
On 5/16/2008 10:08 AM, L.P.H. van Belle wrote:
set your resolve.conf to resolve on localhost first and set the
search order.

example of the resolve.conf
search yourlocaldomain.internal.local otherdomain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver ipofprovider
Much better to use the opendns servers than any randon ISP DNS...
First why use open dns servers.
the dns servers of your provider is much less hops away.
Hops really don't matter... most ISP DNS servers are unreliable... some
are extremely unreliable... I said 'random' meaning, it really wouldn't
matter what ISP you were using, I'd say the same thing...

OK - now that we have split the atom regarding what might be the best DNS solution, how does this help resolve NetBIOS names within Linux? Have I missed something vital in this thread? Seems I must have.

I'd like to know how you propose to store the name_type info in DNS?

For example, how would you store "MYSERVERNAME<20>" in DNS? Next, how will you teach the Windows client to search DNS for that info. After all, we are dealing with the NetBIOS name space.
With all due respect, that is not clear to me either.

I am "only" looking for a simple way to resolve NetBIOS names on a Linux machine. Replacing NetBIOS resolution by a full-fledged local DNS would, I suppose, be appropriate on an enterprise-scale network, but we are just talking about an home LAN here (which I should have stated more clearly from the start).

My understanding is the following: I need to bridge NetBIOS name resolution, as provided by nmbd, with the libc gethostbyname() standard call. The Name Service Switch (NSS) seems to be designed for this purpose: by adding a "wins" entry in nsswitch.conf and installing winbind, the later can then act as a service to NSS (through /lib/libnss_wins.so.2; or is it /lib/libnss_winbind.so.2?).

Now, all of this is nice and dandy, but installing winbind opens a whole can of worms for me: since it also insists in handling my users and groups (which, as I understand it, is its primary goal after all), it cannot work "out of the box" and breaks my simple SMB share setting.

So I would say that winbind (or the fact that winbind + libnss_wins.so are distributed as the same packet on Debian?) is overkill for me.

Is this description correct? I'd be very interested in a confirmation.

Regards.