Volker Lendecke <Volker.Lendecke <at> SerNet.DE> writes:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 10:45:51AM -0700, Jack Lauman wrote:
> > For some reason the excel file was stripped in my last post. (See
> > below). We would appreciate any help we can get on this. Intuit tried
> > this on their test server and we don't know whats causing the files to
> > open without oplocks when a second user tries to access the database.
> Did you read our replies to your initial post at all?
> If Intuit tells you that they do not know why a second
> opener does not get an oplock you should really escalate
> that support issue much, much higher inside their
> organization. You have have very obviously been put off by
> some first-level support person that has no clue about the
Thanks for the responses so far... I am actually the tech from Lacerte who was
working with Jack - I'd like to clarify some things to try to help find a
- The software is designed for multiple users to access the database on a
network and works that way for thousands of customers (using Windows servers,
Linux is actually not supported by us and we don't test on it)
- In Jack's case, each computer can access the program fine when the database
local, and when the database is on the server it works fine as long as only one
computer accesses it
- I have seen cases where performance degradation in our software occurs when
oplocks are disabled on Windows networks. Oplocks was not disabled on Jack's
machines, but we did try disabling it on both the server and workstations to
if it made a difference and it did not help.
- I now realize that when a second user accesses a file, the server will break
the oplock the first user had on it, which is why it showed up that way in the
- I tested our software on my home network with Samba on a Linux server and 2
workstations (XP and Vista) and didn't run into the same problem as Jack - I
able to open the software on both workstations and access the same database
without the performance issue. My smbstatus logs also appeared identical to
Jack's as far as the oplocks go. The smb.conf file that Jack attached was the
one from my server that I had sent him to compare with his, so consider that as
the working one. One difference is that I was authenticating as the same user
from 2 different workstations while Jack had different users.
I'd like to have Jack set up a share on one of the Windows workstations and
point 2 computers at that database and see if the same issue occurs, just to
make sure we are looking in the right direction.
(For the record, the issue already was escalated and I am not first-level
support. Unfortunately if it went higher the case would probably be dismissed
as "OS not supported")
To unsubscribe from this list go to the following URL and read the