samba@lists.samba.org

[Samba] disable '_' to '/' replacement in %S for default service configu

Subject: [Samba] disable '_' to '/' replacement in %S for default service configuration
From: "Paul B. Henson"
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:45:08 -0700 PDT
We've been using a fairly old version of samba for quite some time to serve
user home directories and group project directories with a configuration
approximately like:

-----
[global]
        default service = groups

[homes]
        path = /export/user/%u

[groups]
        path = /export/group/%S
-----

This has worked out very well, the samba configuration is minimal, and does
not need to be changed as users/groups come and go.

However, while trying to use the same configuration for a newer version of
Samba, groups with _'s in their names were not working.

On reviewing the documentation, I found out that at some point Samba
started translating _'s to /'s for the %S substitution in the default
service.

That breaks our configuration, for a group 'foo_bar' Samba tries to access
/export/group/foo/bar instead of /export/group/foo_bar.

Is there any way to disable this translation such that %S is substituted as
is and prevent the mangling? I really don't want to have to explicitly list
every group in the Samba configuration, there are thousands.

Thanks...

--
Paul B. Henson  |  (909) 979-6361  |  http://www.csupomona.edu/~henson/
Operating Systems and Network Analyst  |  henson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx