samba@lists.samba.org

Re: [Samba] Autogenerating of operatingSystem and operatingSystemVersion

Subject: Re: [Samba] Autogenerating of operatingSystem and operatingSystemVersion attributes in AD
From: simo
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:07:49 -0500
On Mon, 2007-02-12 at 09:03 -0500, Jim McDonough wrote:
> On 2/12/07, Gerald (Jerry) Carter <jerry@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I really have fought this type of behavior because it
>         is inconsistent.  I'd rather find another way to set the
>         OS attributes.
> At some point in the past (probably 3 years now) I found that even
> when we set these attributes, at some point, AD would decide to
> overwrite them.  I never got down to the root cause of the behavior,
> but it seemed at the time like anything it didnt' recognize would
> eventually be reset.

I am sure this is not the case, I've seen *different* clients do that
and the arbitrary change sticks.
I guess you have to do these mods after the account is settled down,
maybe you can even try to update these fields using the machine account
password? Never checked the permission on those attributes, but it might
be interesting.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce