samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Function NetUserGetInfo ignoring SambaMaxPwdAge when called in level 3?

Subject: Function NetUserGetInfo ignoring SambaMaxPwdAge when called in level 3?
From: Jörn Frenzel
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 13:32:54 +0200
Dear all,

we have a strange behavior using Samba (Verson 3.5.2) as PDC with Open LDAP (Version 2.1.22) as backend and an old Novell-Client (version: 4.91 SP5) running on WinXP (SP3 and higher). The old PDC (Version 3.0.28) was running over years with the same
LDAP-Server as backend and with Novell installed on the clients.

We decided to migrate to Samba 3.5.2 , updated all the LDAP schemas according to Samba Version 3.5.2, setup an new 64Bit Ubuntu (10.4) and build the new Samba. Everything worked fine and the testclient (without Novell) could login without any trouble. But if i try to login on a Novell-Client (using nwgina.dll instead of msgina.dll), i'm forced to set a new password and this is what we don't want.

Users LDAP-Values for "sambaPwdMustChange" are quite old, but the LDAP-Value "sambaMaxPwdAge" for the object "sambaDomain" itself is set to "-1". As far as i understand, this should ever cover the "old-passwords-problem" and in indeed msgina.dll does not claim about old pwds.

As my colleague figured out msgina uses the function "NetUserGetInfo" in level 2, but nwgina calls this function in level 3.

See: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa370654(VS.85).aspx

So, the question is: Why is samba 3.5.2 ignoring "sambaMaxPwdAge = -1" when NetUserGetInfo is called in Level 3?

In the case, no one knows the answer to my question exactly, it also could be helpfull for us to know the name of the sourcefile and the linenumber where NetUserGetInfo is finally returning. We looked around in the code, but it was too confusing for us.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Joern