samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Re: ERRnofiles listing large directory

Subject: Re: ERRnofiles listing large directory
From: Jeff Layton
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 08:53:42 -0400
On Thu, 1 May 2008 17:59:47 -0400
"Michael B Allen" <ioplex@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing ERRnofiles (0x80000006) from what I'm pretty sure is
> TRANS2_FIND_NEXT2 on a large directory with 3.0.14a.
>
> The customer says the error is with "mostly Samba" but that it could
> also be unique to Samba.
>
> Under what conditions does Samba return ERRnofiles?
>
> What could my code be doing that could cause such an error?
>
> The client is doing TRANS2_FIND_NEXT2 on a directory with thousands of
> files but it doesn't get them all so it sounds like the error is not a
> harmless "There are no more files" type of error as it was originally
> intended.
>
> The error only happens after the client (JCIFS) is crawling for 10+
> hours and I'm trying to narrow down if the issue is in my code or on
> the server. Any insight would be appreciated.

TRANS2_FIND_NEXT can use a lot of open file descriptors on samba.
You'll probably need to tune the "max open files" parameter in smb.conf
to something higher, and may also need to tune the server's OS to allow
for a single process to have more open filehandles (including bumping
ulimit -n when starting smbd).

Cheers,
--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxxx>