samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Re: idle_timeout processing in the parent smbd?

Subject: Re: idle_timeout processing in the parent smbd?
From: James Peach
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 15:59:22 -0700
On Jun 4, 2007, at 3:24 PM, tridge@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

James,

I'd argue that it's an actual saving of resources (for some use
cases). smbd is 6MB on my system, nmbd is 2MB and winbindd is 4MB. So
running these cost ~12MB of some combination of swap space and
physical memory.

I think you'll find it you look at /proc/PID/map that nearly all of
this is read-only mmap of libraries and the main binary. Those bits
cost you nothing.

That's true, it's probably (a lot?) less that I'm representing above but it's still greater than zero.

I also think you'll find that once you start doing things like rpc
over tcp that trying to manage your ports via an external daemon
becomes a nightmare. That's why Samba4 doesn't support inetd.

I'm not familiar with the issue with rpc on tcp. Could you elaborate?

--
James Peach | jpeach@xxxxxxxxx