samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Samba4 portability

Subject: Samba4 portability
From: Randy Turner
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 08:04:46 -0700

Hello list,

I had a high-level question regarding the technical goals of the samba4 project. In the past, my projects have included embedded system projects that needed CIFS/SMB client/server functionality. Sometimes these projects were embedded linux, and it wasn't too difficult to get Samba 3.0.x running on these platforms. However, when these embedded platforms used some other real-time operating system (like VxWorks), the design of Samba 3.0.x and it's OS assumptions made the task of porting Samba 3.0.x extremely difficult, and was not attempted.

What I was hoping is that the design Samba4 was modularized and not as monolithic as Samba3, and that the interfaces used by Samba4 were not "hard-wired" to a Unix system API. I just pulled down the current trunk of the samba4 tree and I'm just starting to look at it, but I was hoping for a basic statement as to whether or not the list feels like the portability of the samba4 codebase is much better than Samba3.

Thanks in advance for any responses!
Randy