samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Re: idmap SQL backend

Subject: Re: idmap SQL backend
From: Jelmer Vernooij
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 21:11:35 +0100
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 23, 2005 at 08:56:30AM -0500, Jeremy Monin wrote about 'idmap SQL
backend':
> My site uses samba 3.0.x domain member servers in a Win2K AD domain. We'd
> like to use a shared idmap, but it seems overkill to run an LDAP server
> solely for this.  (Also the windows admins won't support extending the AD
> schema for use as the LDAP idmap backend.)

> I wouldn't mind writing code for idmap to a postgres/mysql back-end.
> I searched and couldn't find anything similar; but am I reinventing the
> wheel here, or is it a bad idea?
There is currently no idmap backend for MySQL or PostGreSQL. Other
then the fact that it wouldn't require LDAP, I don't think it'll have
much benefits over a LDAP idmap.

> Just looking for some feedback before I jump into this.

Cheers,

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer@xxxxxxxxx> - http://jelmer.vernstok.nl/ -