samba-technical@lists.samba.org

Re: Win32 gethostbyaddr() does NetBIOS query?

Subject: Re: Win32 gethostbyaddr() does NetBIOS query?
From: "Christopher R. Hertel"
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 21:00:42 -0600
...by which you meant that the Windows system will attempt a NetBIOS Node
Status Query (sent to port UDP/137) if reverse DNS lookup fails.  Yes?

Known behavior.  Windows systems (the older ones, at least) tend to ignore
the distinction between the NBT (NetBIOS over TCP) namespace and the DNS
namespace.

Does that help?

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh@xxxxxxxxxxxx