Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe

Subject: Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe
From: Curtis Villamizar
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 2010 03:07:13 -0400
In message
<[email protected]xxxxxxxxx>
"Mcdysan, David E" writes:

> I had a general statement about scaling in the wg slides, and I recall
> Alex objecting that in general the IETF avoids quantitative values.
>
> This is an important issue, and is one we need to address to better
> understand the cost/benefit of approaches that differ from just
> extending the set of advertised parameters and/or their useage in
> signaled LSPs.
>
> I propose that we discuss a parameteric model, e.g., Number of nodes
> (N), total number of Links (L), some range of Component links per
> Composite (C(i)), frequency of latency changes (L), frequency of
> capacity changes, etc. and try to compare the "scalability" and
> "response time" in a parametric way. Then, outside of the IETF,
> quantitative numbers could be inserted.
>
> Dave

Really thorough treatment of the topic could go to SigComm or any of a
number of places.  A quick analysis or a summary of deployment
experience can go to NANOG.

The model can be proposed outside IETF as well.  It makes no sense to
put it in the requirements document.  In most analysis of IGP
convergence or CSPF workload or convergence there have been
assumptions about average degree of a node, etc.  Models will vary.

Curtis