Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe

Subject: Re: composite link - candidate for respin, maybe
From: Tony Li
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:59:19 -0700

> Then why bother with link bundling?  This level of control has been part of TE
> since the beginning.  Link bundling was introduced to trade information hiding
> for scalability.

Because we can gain a great deal of scalability by advertising vectors of
metrics rather than explicit metrics per link.  So, rather than:

    link 1
        bandwidth 10gbps
    link 2
        bandwidth 40gbps
    link 3
        bandwidth 100gbps

We have:

    composite links
        bandwidth 10, 40, 100

This saves an enormous amount of overhead in TLV encoding.  If we can
further only vectorize a subset of the metrics for the composite link (e.g.,
IGP metric and link coloring might be common), we get further scaling
advantages.  And on top of that, little or no loss of useful information.

> See
> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-mpls-explicit-resource-control-bund
> le/

Perfect, thanks.